Transferring your photos and other personal data from your old phone to your new Samsung phone (congrats on the upgrade!) is extremely easy. You might not even need a USB cable.
Upgrading is AWESOME. More storage, new features, a killer new camera—the only downside is transferring all of your old data. Lucky for you, sending all of your old photos to your new Samsung phone is way easier than it is with any other type of phone.
Here are the 3 ways you can save all of those photos of your family pets:
#1) SHAREit Mobile App – Share Files Wirelessly
The SHAREit mobile app is available for Android from the Google Play Store. The app is free and allows you to transfer photos and other multi-media seamlessly.
All you have to do is:
- Install SHAREit on BOTH phones
- Tap SEND from your old phone and RECEIVE from your new one
- Select your photos and anything else you’d like to send on your old phone
- The transfer will happen AUTOMATICALLY to your new phone
- Enjoy showing off all your awesome travel photos to your friends
The downside to the SHAREit app is it’s a bit slow and supported by ads. In our opinion, that significantly downgrades the experiences and could even open you up to viruses. The good news is, there’s a better wireless option (check out #3 if you want to go wireless).
#2) Samsung Data Transfer – for Windows or Mac Users
Samsung’s data transfer program is an old-school, phone-to-phone method that only requires a few USB cables (and a computer). It’s good for heavy transfers, as it lets you send eBooks to your new phone too.
If you want to migrate photos to your new phone, follow these steps:
- Download the Samsung Data Transfer program (Windows or Mac)
- Connect both your phones to your computer (the program should now recognize both devices)
- Check to make sure there is a “CONNECTED” sign beneath the phones
- Make sure your old phone is on the “SOURCE” side and your new one on the “DESTINATION” side
- Select what you want to transfer, and you are good to go!
It’s that easy!
#3) The Smart Switch Mobile App – The BEST WAY to Send Old Photos to Your New Samsung Phone
Samsung’s Smart Switch mobile app is a godsend that makes sending old photos to a new Samsung phone as easy as a few taps of the screen. It’s totally free, the UX is awesome, and it’s really FAST. Also, it lets you send ANY multi-media file, so if you want to send your old videos as well, you can. By the way, merging videos is a great way to save space and create awesome presentations. Check out Free Make Converter tool that lets you merge videos w/t limits FOR FREE.
If you’re upgrading to the new Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (by the way, you should!), you won’t have to worry about losing everything.
Here’s what to do:
- Install Samsung Smart Switch on BOTH devices
- Put the devices next to each other
- Tap connect on one of the devices
- Choose which data you want to migrate to the other device
- Accept the transfer on your new phone
That’s all there is to it—no cables, no confusing programs, no nothing. Your new phone’s library will be full of your old selfies in minutes.
These are the 3 best ways to send old photos (and more) to your new phone. We definitely recommend the Samsung Smart Switch mobile app for all transfers.
Alice Koval is a freelance blogger writing about tech, tools, and Web. You may hire Alice via Twitter.