In the latest update for WhatsApp app of Android and iOS, WhatsApp has added many new features and improvements for better use and management of Groups.
The update also adds protection for users so they can’t be repeatedly added to groups they’ve left before.
Here’s what new in the update:
- Group description: A short blurb found under group info that allows you to set the purpose, guidelines, or topics for the group. When a new person joins a group, the description will show up at the top of the chat.
- Admin controls: In group settings, there’s now a control that allows admins to restrict who can change the group’s subject, icon, and description.
- Group catch up: When you’ve been away from a group chat, quickly catch up on messages that mention or reply to you by tapping on a new @ button that appears at the bottom right corner of the chat.
- Participant search: Find anyone in a group by searching for participants on the group info page.
- Admins can now remove admin permissions of other group participants, and group creators can no longer be removed from the group they started.
The update should be live now for Android and iOS users. It is not known when these features will be available for Windows Phone if at all they decide to update it. However, since WhatsApp has actively updated their Windows Phone app to keep on par with other platforms, we expect them to release an update soon.
Update 18/5: The update is now rolling out to Windows Phones too.