Unofficial Pokémon GO app for Windows 10 Mobile is available again
Back in summer, Niantic had released their first smartphone game. Take your smartphone and become a real Pokémon trainer, well at least if you are using an Android or iOS powered smartphone. Niantic didn’t really care about Microsoft’s mobile operating system and therefore a small independent group of developers have put their effort into an app which gives you almost the same experience like the real apps.
Shortly after the release of the official app, Pokémon GO was available for Windows 10 Mobile thanks to these developers. While it couldn’t simply be downloaded through the Windows App store, the app package was available on Github and had to be installed manually. This was possible thanks to the API Niantic had developed for Pokémon GO, which allowed third-party developers to access the Pokémon GO data. Unfortunately their appeared various cheating apps on some websites and app stores which resulted in an encrypted API so that nobody could use it anymore. Therefor the development of the third-party Pokémon GO app quickly came to an end.
Today these developers reported that they have finally decrypted Niantic’s API and they will continue their work on the Pokémon GO app for Windows 10 Mobile. Version v1.0.50 (v1.1.0-RC3) can be downloaded from GitHub. In order to install it on your phone there are a few easy steps you’ll have to follow:
How to install Pokémon GO on Windows 10 Mobile
- Download Pokémon GO from GitHub
- Copy the downloaded PokemonGo-UWP_184.108.40.206_arm.appxbundle to your Windows 10 Mobile device.
- Open settings –> Update & security –> for developers tap on developer mode to be able to install apps from outside the Windows app store
- Navigate to the PokemonGo-UWP_220.127.116.11_arm.appxbundle on your phone and tap onto it.
- Be patient, it will take a few minutes until the app is installed on your phone and you are able to see it in the app list on the left.
App still installed?
Simply open the app on your phone, the update will then be downloaded automatically.
- Fixed API, game is now playable again!
- A lot of cool stuff.
This update brings a few new features but was mainly released because of the decrypted API. Bugs which have existed in the version before are still in this app and will now be fixed where the team behind the third-party app starts work again.
Are you still playing Pokémon GO, or better said, have you missed the app while it was away. Feel free to drop us a comment below with your thoughts on this story and stay tuned for more Microsoft related news in the future.