[Confirmed] AT&T will be the first carrier to bring the 4G LTE Microsoft Surface to customers
Back in March Microsoft has published the latest addition to their Surface row, the Microsoft Surface 3. Like the name already suggests this is a lower priced version of the Surface Pro 3 with a bit lower specifications. This tablet will be shipped with Windows 8.1, though you might know that you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10, which will be released on the 29th of July, for free.
The last couple of days and weeks there were surrounding some rumors already that Microsoft and AT&T are preparing for a launch of the LTE version of the Microsoft Surface 3 to get it through this US carrier, however there has not been any confirmation about that yet. Today AT&T began to send out E-Mail’s stating that they will be the first carrier in the United States to bring the LTE version of the Surface 3 to the customer. This are great news and it is also an important step for Microsoft at the same time since there are a few companies, especially Samsung, who are offering tablets together with contracts various operators world wide.
Below you can have a look at the Email which AT&T is currently sending out to inform the press about this new release:
AT&T Offers 4G LTE Microsoft Surface Starting July 24
AT&T becomes first U.S. carrier to bring tablet to customers
NEW YORK, July 21, 2015—AT&T is now letting customers be among the first to experience the brand new Microsoft Surface 3 (4G LTE) from AT&T, certified with Windows 8.1 and connected to the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network. Beginning on Friday, July 24, you can purchase the Surface 3 for $0 down and $30 per month with an AT&T Tablet Installment plan. In addition, for a limited time, you can purchase a Surface 3 for $399.99 with any Lumia smartphone purchased on AT&T Next. Additionally, a commercial version of the Surface 3 will be available to business customers in the coming weeks.
The Surface 3 is light and thin, so you can easily take it with you on-the-go and stay connected on the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network. With the integrated, three-position Kickstand, the ability to run desktop software and touch apps side-by-side, and a full-size USB 3.0 port, Surface 3 is a balanced mix of innovation and practicality. You’ll also be able to upgrade to Windows 10 once the new operating system is available.
Surface 3 also includes these key features:
- Microsoft Office®: Feel right at home or work with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, plus 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage with a one-year Office 365 Personal subscription.
- Processor: The Surface 3’s new quad-core Intel® Atom™ x7 processor helps you move between apps quickly and easily.
- Storage: You’ve got plenty of room for your favorite songs, pictures, and movies with 64GB of storage and microSD card support up to 128GB.
- Battery: Catch up on your favorite TV show or finish up a last-minute report with a 7485 mAh battery that can give you up to eight and half hours of use without charging.
- Surface Pen: Experience instant note taking that is as natural as writing on paper with the Surface Pen (sold separately).
- Type Cover: Add this click-in keyboard which includes bright, back-lit keys and offers the speed and functionality of a laptop (sold separately). Combine this with the Surface 3’s ability to run Windows desktop software, and you get the full computer experience when you’re on-the-go.
To see the Surface 3 in action check out this video and visit att.com starting this Friday for more information on the tablet.
Demos available upon request.
The Surface 3 is a really great addition from Microsoft to the Surface row. It brings on the one hand almost the full Surface experience for a lower price compared to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. On the other hand this this also the first tablet from Microsoft with a fanless design at least in the Surface row. This means that even if you do some serious stuff where the Surface 3 is hard at work you will never hear a fan, this was possible because of Intel’s new processor technology.
If you are thinking about getting one of these Surface 3 Tablets with LTE via AT&T I have listed the specification of the Tablet belwo one more time so that you can have another look at them. In case you want a more detailed description of the Surface 3 and all its features you can have a look at this article. For a direct specs comparison between the Surface Pro 3, the Surface 3 and the iPad Air 2, you can head over to this article.
- Size: 10.52 x 7.36 x 0.34 in (267 x 187 x 8.7 mm)
- Weight: 1.37 lbs (622 g)
- Display: 10.8” ClearType Full HD Plus Display • Resolution: 1920 x 1280 • Aspect ratio: 3:2 • Touch: 10 point multi-touch
- Surface Pen support
- Battery Life: Up to 10 hours
- Storage/RAM: 64GB storage with 2GB RAM • 128GB storage with 4GB RAM
- Processor: Quad-core Intel Atom x7-Z8700 processor (2MB Cache, 1.6GHz with Intel Burst technology up to 2.4GHz)
- Network (Wireless and Cellular): Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac), Bluetooth 4.0
- Ports: Full-size USB 3.0 • Mini DisplayPort • microSD card reader • Micro USB charging port • Headset jack • Cover port
- Software: Windows 8.1 • 1-year of Office 365 Personal with OneDrive cloud storage
- Cameras, video and audio: 3.5 megapixel front-facing camera • 8.0 megapixel rear-facing camera with autofocus • Microphone • Stereo speakers with Dolby audio
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor • Proximity sensor • Accelerometer • Gyroscope • Magnetometer
- Warranty: 1-year limited hardware warranty
Feel free to drop me a comment below if you think that it is a good idea from Microsoft to finally bring a LTE version of the Surface 3 to the first carrier. Will you be getting one or would you rather buy one in a normal retail store? Stay tuned for more information about upcoming Surface Tablets and the upcoming Windows 10 Launch.