[Screenshots] How to: Install Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 on any Windows Phone device

WindowsPhone81Update2Header(1)

It has not been a long time ago when Microsoft has released the latest version of Windows 10 for Phones, Build 10051. The list of devices which are supporting this version of the Technical Preview dramatically increased though the Update is still not available for all devices, a detailed list of supported devices can be found below:

Lumia 1020, Lumia 1320, Lumia 1520, Lumia 520, Lumia 525, Lumia 526, Lumia 530, Lumia 530 Dual Sim, Lumia 535, Lumia 620, Lumia 625, Lumia 630, Lumia 630 Dual Sim, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 720, Lumia 730, Lumia 730 Dual SIM, Lumia 735, Lumia 810, Lumia 820, Lumia 822, Lumia 830, Lumia 920, Lumia 925, Lumia 928, Microsoft Lumia 430, Microsoft Lumia 435, Microsoft Lumia 435 Dual SIM, Microsoft Lumia 435 Dual SIM DTV, Microsoft Lumia 532, Microsoft Lumia 532 Dual SIM, Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual SIM, Microsoft Lumia 535 Dual SIM;

However you can still get in the joyful experience of receiving an Update on your Windows Phone. With the release of the Microsoft Lumia 640 and 640 XL we have reported that these devices will ship with Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 or also known as Update 2. Microsoft has not said anything about when this Update will be available for other devices. Well this is probably a bug, but it is now possible to install the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 on your Windows Phone, all you need therefore is the Windows Insider App and a working Windows Phone.

To install the update on your device, be sure to exactly follow the steps below:

1. Disable automatic downloading Updates option:
    First thing you will have to do, is to go to Settings –> phone Update –> uncheck ‘Automatically download updates if my data settings allow it’
  2. Windows Insider App:
    Open the Windows Phone App store on your device and download the Windows Insider App, do not forget to register as a Windows Insider first.
  3. Set Up Windows Insider App:
    After you have successfully installed the App on your Windows Phone, open the app and set it up. When the app is asking you how you want to receive Technical Preview Updates, choose ‘Fast Track/Ring’.
  4. Check for Updates:
    Once done this, close the Windows Insider App, head to the settings again and check for Updates.
  5. Check Update version:
    If you do not want to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on your Windows Phone yet, be sure to check the version of the Update which is now popping up. Windows Phone 8.1 Update two has the following version: 8.10.15116.125.
  6. Uninstall Windows Insider App:
    After the successful installation of GDR 2 you can remove the Windows Insider App again, provided that you do not want to install the Windows 10 Update yet.

Update2Screenshots(1)

This is probably not the official release of the Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 OS version by Microsoft so we are not sure yet if it is possible to receive future updates if you are installing the update with this method. However worst case scenario would be to reset your phone with the Nokia Recovery Tool in order to update your phone.
With the GDR 2 Update your phone will get some neat new features. First of all and probably the most obvious one, settings are now sorted and are looking a lot more clearly arranged now. It is also possible to search settings now, as you can see in the screenshots below.

Update2Screenshots(2)

At the bottom of your startscreen you will notice, that there is not only an arrow anymore but also ‘All Apps’ with an arrow, very helpful for users which are totally new to the OS. It looks pretty nice though Microsoft could think about displaying this maybe for the first few weeks the phone is in use or so.

Update2Screenshots(3)

Not only the UI of the settings has changed with GDR 2 Update but also some detailed things in the settings have been changed by Microsoft. If you open the ‘about’ section of your Windows Phone you can now rename the device so that it fits your needs. Without the GDR 2 Update this is only possible by connecting your phone to the PC.

Update2Screenshots(4)

Last but not least you are getting a Data Toggle for the Action Center, Notifications for slow charging (Edit: These notifications are not new.) and the support of Bluetooth Keyboards with this Update. Now I am wishing the Type Cover of my Surface has Bluetooth, that’d be awesome :)!

Update2Screenshots(5)

So this is all we know about the Windows Phone 8.1 GDR 2 Update so far, stay tuned for more information about this Update and Windows 10 for Phones. Feel free to let me know your opinion on this update and what you think Microsoft should implement in Windows Phone before the big release of Windows 10.

Source: WMPowerUser

You might also like More from author

43 Comments

1. vishal says

I cant able to update windows 8.1 GDR2 or update 2 in my windows phone. if I use windows insider it directly get windows 10… I have got lost of errors and unsupported apps in windows 10 so I think to update 8.1 update 2…. but now I can update 8.1 update 2 what can I do now to get it ?

2. Selvakumar says

Is it work with Lumia 730 dual sim? Only preview to Windows 10 is available.

1. virat says

Same here 🙁 No GDR 2 for lumia 730

3. Medo says

Hi, I am facing similar problem, i have lumia 625 still have lumia amber firmware, and every time i am checking for new updates it is telling you already have the latest update, which is really annoying.
    I tried to use windows insider, but it is telling your device not supported.
    Any idea how to update it?

4. sachindave says

pliz give me review about windows 10 use in the lumia 535…

5. Ramit says

Don’t update your phone to this update as you have to use windows phone recovery tool to roll back to previous one to install Windows 10!!

I was not knowing it and I was at windows phone 8.1 update 2 on my Lumia 925 and belive me that I have recovered my Lumia very painfully as I updated to windows 10 from this and the update do not installed successfully and my phone was restarting showing Nokia logo and the cogs only… Then i used wprt and when download completed it makes me sure that i have to charge my phone at least 20% otherwise it will damage my phone and my Lumia 925 has non removable battery as i can’t check my battery.. Then i said it in Microsoft forums and they suggest me to charge my phone for one or two hour in download mode and i implemented that and took the risk on loving Lumia 925.. And i successfully rolled back to 8.1…. Now even today i am afraid on installing technical preview on it..

So in short i wanna say that don’t install it.. If you really need to try out new features that go to windows 10 tp…

6. boss2281 says

It’s asking me slow or fast ring and i am selected for the slow which installs me WP10 Technical preview.. How to update GDR2 in 532 Lumia..Now i am in Windows 10 Technical preview. Do i get Frequent updates after this? please help…

7. Bayu Satrya says

Working Great on my Lumia 535 RM 1090, in Indonesia…

8. sukhdeep says

when i`m check update and go to download it.the version which is download is 10.0.12648.133.so now what to do..pls tell me

9. Pankaj Mall (@PankajtamtamS) says

its not working for Lumia 720 in india its only got WP 10 Technical Preview ….. plz tell how i got only update 2 GDR 2

10. Avijit Roy says

What about my data and previous apps after upgrading 8.1 update 2 for Lumia 535. Is it looks like a new phone?

1. Simon Haslwanter says

No it will not look like a new phone, all your data will still be on the phone

11. Jasper says

Strangely… when I wanted to install W10 the insider app updated me to GDR2; when I restored and wanted to update to GDR2, it only shows windows 10 preview update is available for download…

12. kushal says

I own Lumia 532 Dual. I wish to update GDR2 (8.1 update 2) … anybody can how it works, any problems ?

13. jishnu says

Hi I’m using Lumia 535 can I update my window. 10 in my mobile

14. Venkat says

i am venkat using lumia 535 my mobile not showing 8.1 update2

15. Naresh says

how to upgrade from 8.1 (GDR2) to windows 10 on lumia 535 …thnks for GDR 2..let me know how to downgrade to just 8.1

16. Naresh says

how to upgrade from 8.1 (GDR2) to windows 10 on lumia 535

17. Sameera says

I have installed Update 2 jtoday in my lumia 535, Its looking great, Thanks Simon Haslwanter

18. adwait says

Shows me the technical preview for 10 and I want 8.1 (GDR2). Nokia Lumia 520

19. ravindra says

nice

20. Juniour says

my lumia 535 just says checking for updates….. and stops there ,please help

1. window expert says

You have some network issue pls try after sometime.if problem is continue than switch off ur phone and restart. If still problem u facing than pls reset it phone .

21. hiren says

After installing windows 10 preview on my Lumia 535 can I get official update from Microsoft pls reply me I liittle bit scared because I by mistake install preview built

1. boss2281 says

Same here.. Do we get official update from Microsoft for Windows 10 technical preview or i need to reset my mobile again ?

1. Simon Tony Haslwanter says

You are mainly getting new Windows 10 Mobile Builds but also Firmware updates for your device. It will probably be also possible to directly update from the Insider Preview to the final version of Windows 10 Mobile once it has been released.

22. Mandak says

How does look that ring?

1. Simon Haslwanter says

The Fast ring is an option which can set turing the first start of the Windows Insider App. Try to uninstall and reinstall the Windows Insider App, then you can go through the setup of the app again and choose the ‘Fast Ring’.

23. Mandak says

On my Lumia 735 nothing of Update2, just Windows Phone 10 TP.

24. AKSHAYDUBEY says

I’m
    already an Insider but on my Lumia
    535 CAN NOT select the rings. The
    only option is “Get preview builds”
    and it gets me straight to WP 10.

1. Simon Haslwanter says

Try to uninstall and reinstall the Windows Insider App on your Windows Phone so that you can set up the app again, then you may be able to choose the ring.

25. Gyani says

HI I have install Update 2 just now in my lumia 535, Its looking great, Thanks

26. hiren says

Today I update my Lumia 535 8.10.15116.125 but after successful update I again check for the update now it still showing update is available just few minutes back I updated my phone than why this update is showing me again now what new providing me . And when will u get windows 10 update for my phone pls reply

1. Simon Haslwanter says

Which Update is avaialble now after you have installed Update 2, is version 8.10.15116.125. still available to download? If there is an Update available with a different version number, it might be the Windows 10 Technical Preview.

1. hiren says

No I try to update my phone but every time update was cancelled after 5% so I decided to reset my phone after reset not showing me Any update

27. Mac says

It doesn’t work on all phones. I’m already an Insider but on my Lumia 535 CAN NOT select the rings. The only option is “Get preview builds” and it gets me straight to WP 10.

1. Simon Haslwanter says

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows Insider App so that you can set it up again. Then it might ask you which ring you want.

1. Abhinandan jha says

errer code show (80072ee2)

2. Thirumal says