How to toggle LTE on/off on your Nokia Lumia 900
It’s no secret LTE zaps battery in LTE enabled phones, and the Nokia Lumia 900 is no exception.
Sadly there isn’t a setting to turn it off or on when you want to… well, until now.
I have always wished there was a way to turn off LTE when I wanted to, since most of the time, I use either my WiFi at home or at the office, leaving LTE for those apps that run in the background and that’s just too much speed than they really need.
Thankfully, there’s a way to toggle your LTE on/off and its pretty easy.
Here are the instructions:
- Go to dialer and enter ##3282#, it opens the Data Field Test utility which includes a lot of stuff I don’t even want to know about. But by tapping the “three dots” … at the bottom of your screen and tapping “settings”
- You can tap and open Settings. Change the Network type to Automatic.
- NOTE: You can play with the other two settings “at your own risk”.
- Tap the Back button once to go back to the Field Test menu.
- The next step is critical so pay attention. Tap on the last option on the screen; Toggle ENS (REBOOT). When it opens tap Start. A few seconds later tap Stop. After a slight pause your phone will reboot (soft reset). If you simply back out of the Field Test menu, “the change you made will not stick”.
- Now go to Settings>Cellular on your phone and you will have an option to select E (Edge), 3G or 4G as your highest connection speed. I tried all three and they definitely disconnect you from the AT&T network and then reconnect to a new signal. Edge will show E or G (see the screenshot above), while 3G will show 4G on your phone. If you are in an LTE area, selecting 4G will show LTE. Otherwise I assume it will show and work over 4G.
I have tried this now and I chose the 3G option, It will take a day to see if this improves my battery life. It’s a nice option to have, I don’t know why it isn’t included by default especially with all the battery issues plaguing the Lumia 900.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Try at your own risk