Nokia betalabs has Windows Phone beta apps.
During our session with the Maps team at CES back in January, Fran told our group that there are beta apps available in Nokia betalabs for the Windows Phone. However, the process of getting the beta apps onto your Lumia 610/710/800/900 is quite different from the Symbian one you are used to. You will need to have the link to the WP app or just go to windowsphone.com and search for the app. If the app is in Nokia betalabs, there will be a link provided and you can click on the link to download/install the app.
It’s quite easy to add your Windows Phone device (yes, I said WP device and I will explain later) on the list of trials on Nokia betalabs. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions below.
- Go to betalabs.nokia.com and either sign in or create a new account.
- On the top right side of the page you will see the ‘New apps’ section that lists your OS preference (PC or MAC), the devices you have, for me it’s the N8 and E7.
- Place the cursor on the New apps section and the Edit button appears. Click on it and it will bring up a settings window.
- Look for the your Nokia Windows Phone device. Did you just notice some other non Nokia Phones on the top of drop down list?
- Once you added your WP device(s), look for the ‘Applications’ on the header and click on it.
- You will see a full list of apps for all your devices and OS. Select your WP device in the filter to see only WP beta apps.
- Select the app you would like to install and it directs you to marketplace WindowsPhone.com to get the beta application.
There are currently two WindowsPhone apps available on Nokia betalabs. Soundtracker is already available on marketplace. I have decided to showcase Nokia Pulse, because the app is still beta and you will not be able to find it in marketplace.
The link from Nokia betalabs allows you to download the app. Another way to download Nokia Pulse is going toand click on the Windows Phone image. Nokia Pulse is available for Symbian, MeeGo devices as well and I saw a tweet a few weeks back that the iOS and Android version are in the works. For now, iOS, Android and even PC/MAC users can simply go to to use or check out the app. Check back frequently with Nokia betalabs to see if there are any new beta apps.
Finally, I would like to tell you that NokiaInnovation has a couple cool ‘surPRIZEs’ for our readers in March. Here’s a hint: ‘Nocturnal’ ‘Goddess’. Check back here, FaceBook or follow us on twitter @nokiainnovation to see what you could win.
Hope you enjoyed this article and as usual, feel free to leave a comment below.