Nokia Does it Again! With the N9’s Class Leading 8.7-megapixel Camera
Wondering exactly how much camera Nokia could pack into the the N9’s slim uni-body design? How it would stack up to the N8? Perhaps even if it was the same 8mp shooter that they packed into the C7, X7, and the E6? All of these questions were answered recently over at Nokia Conversions when they interviewed Damian Dinning. (a member of the N9’s design team)
He stated that one of the biggest challenges that faced the design team (paraphrasing now) was to pack the N8 experience into the the N9’s slimmer, sleek body. In fact their need to be a “..massive 70% reduction in size compared to the module used in the Nokia N8!”
So exactly how much “goodies” were they able to pack into the that tiny space in the N9?
Here is the short list of the N9’s camera’s features:
- Industry-first imaging sensor which is FULLY optimised for BOTH 16:9 AND 4:3 images
- Industry-leading Carl Zeiss optics
- Super wide-angle optics – the widest in the industry. Up to as much as 60% more viewing area than other broadly comparable devices
- f/2.2 aperture – largest ever in a mobile device
- Extremely responsive, especially switching from stills to video and vice-versa and shot to shot
- Touch AF for both video and stills
- Full time continuous AF in BOTH video and stills plus face detection
- HD video with stereo audio (still one of very few devices that provide high quality audio recording in video)
- Seamless workflows optimised for speed or editing & sharing
- Zoom in to images directly in the post capture view, edit and share all without leaving the camera – the most seamless mobile imaging experience
- Non-destructive editing of images – go back to the original image at any time. Undo or redo edits even months later
- New high power dual LED flash – 20% more powerful than our previous most powerful LED flash despite its compact size
- Geo tagging with place names rather than just co-ordinates
- AMBR – Automatic Motion Blur Reduction
- Not forgetting the touch to share of images between handsets using NFC technology
There is a lot on this list but…The big one this list is Industry-first imaging sensor which is FULLY optimised for BOTH 16:9 AND 4:3 images. This is best demonstrated by these two pictures.
These photos allow you to see the difference between the N9 and a very popular competitor device. The highlighted area is the area you won’t capture with other popular devices. There are many devices which don’t even come close to this. I used a competitor’s product with quite a wide angle lens as a reference device to be fair.
This post is just an introductory post to the N9’s camera and there is a lot more information in the original story at Nokia Conversions I suggest you check it out if you have the time.
Via: Nokia Conversions