In this tutorial I’m going to show you how to flash Windows Phone 8.0 on a Windows Phone by Nokia / Microsoft. This is very useful in three ways, first of all if you want to update to Windows Phone 8.1 official but still rock the Developer Preview you will have to go back to 8.0 to get the official update because Microsoft hasn’t released a fix yet so that you can update directly. Secondly if you have a branded device you can unbrand it with this method and have a country variant firmware on your device, the last thing is, that if the Update is already available in another country than yours, you can download the firmware of this country and install the Update. If you’re going to do that, you have to follow exactly these steps so that nothing goes wrong. I won’t be responsible for any potential damage that could be caused by flashing your device, also keep in mind that this could be voiding the warranty of your Windows Phone. Note that you won’t be able to use your device for about 1 hour until everything is completed and be sure that your battery is around 100% because all this steps use a lot of battery.
1. At first we will have to do a back up of the settings and app data of your device, to do that go to settings –> backup –> apps+settings and there you have to click on ‘back up now’, this can take some time. After the back up make some screenshots of your start screen if you like your current start screen because you will have to reorder your apps when this is done.
2. After you’ve done this connect your phone to the PC and copy all your files like photos, music, videos & documents to the PC because with flashing all your files get erased, after you’ve done this you can disconnect it again.
3. Go to the Nokia Page and check out where the Update is already available so that you know which firmware you’ll have to download. After you know which firmware you want you have to find out the RM-Number and the Product code for this Firmware, you can do this by just binging for it or looking up at Seidea, a pretty neat page which has listed all RM-Numbers with their Product Codes sorted by phone model.
4. The next step will be to download Nokia Care Suite 22.214.171.1244 and the Nokia Data Package Manager which we will need to actually download the firmware. After you’ve downloaded both extract the .zip file and install both programs, when you extract the .zip file there will also be a “UserGroupsConfiguration.cfg” file which you’ll have to copy in the following folders after you’ve installed Nokia Care Suite and Nokia Data package manager:
Windows x86 (32 bit) PC
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Data Package Manager\bin
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Multi Software Updater 5.0
C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0
Windows x64 (64 bit) PC
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Data Package Manager\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Multi Software Updater 5.0
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0
You need this file so that you can login to these programs even without entering a username or a password.
5. Next step is to start the Nokia Data Package Manger, at the login window don’t insert anything just click okay. When it’s started insert the Product Code and the RM-Number you’ve looked up and start the download, this should take about 10 minutes.
6. After downloading the firmware we have to flash it on the device, for this step we disconnect the phone from the PC and start the ‘Nokia Care Suite’ and there we click on ‘Nokia Product Support Tool’, there will come again a small window to login, this time just click ‘work offline’
7. Now you have to click on ‘file’ and ‘open product’, there you have to choose the device which you have downloaded the firmware for, in my case as you can see on the screenshot it’s a Nokia Lumia 920 with the RM-821. After you’ve chosen your device click on open.
9. Next when you can’t see your downloaded firmware yet, click on update list and then you should be able to see the firmware with the exact same Product Code and RM-Number of the firmware you’ve downloaded.
10. Now before connecting your phone to the PC for flashing, click on ‘Start’ until an error message appears, now you can, while pressing volume down (you won’t need the power button because it turns on automatically when you connect your phone) connect your phone with the PC until it vibrates and then click on ‘Retry’ at the error message.
11. The Nokia Product Support Tool will throw out another error message, but there you’ll have to click ok and it it will finally start flashing your device.
12. When your device has finished flashing and restarts, don’t login to your Microsoft Account or anything just go to settings and download all available updates, when you’re finally on Windows Phone 8.1 go to Settings –> about and click on ‘reset your phone’ we will do this for the following reason, when you have flashed your device you have Windows Phone 8.0 and you can’t load the whole back up so we first update to Windows Phone 8.1 so that if you load the back up all your personal settings will be back.
If you have any further questions please drop a comment below.